Watch what I do on Facebook

  

Friday, February 24, 2006

Red Lentil Soup - or, How to find happiness in the kitchen

The yummiest and simplest soup I have ever made is a red lentil soup, based on a traditional Jewish recipe. The TV program "America's Test Kitchen" (who advice I usually revere) recently derided and discarded red lentil soup as being too mushy. Pure Northeastern Yankee humbug!

The recipe I used is based on red lentils (1 packet - 16 oz), chopped onion (1 large), chicken or beef stock (7 1/2 cups) and cumin, salt and pepper, with a finish of lemon juice and extra virgin olive oil, In its purest form, just simmer the main ingredients for about 30 minutes until the texture is right, add the lemon juice and olive oil, and garnish however you please (chopped parsley is good). Tastes good, looks blah.

To make it great, raid the pantry and fridge and add stuff. The best additions I have found so far are a can of chopped tomatoes (added after about 20 minutes of simmering) and about 12 oz shredded spinach (added 5 minutes before completion). The added colors, textures and tastes are sublime. This is what I cooked last night on the spur of the moment.

This, for me, was a breakthrough. Normally, if I cook something, I plan it with more care than the war in Iraq was planned -- about two days of thinking and making lists. Impromptu cooking is new for me - and very gratifying.

Yes, I know, every working woman does this every day - but I am handicapped - I am a man ;-(

No comments: