Watch what I do on Facebook

  

Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Convergence and divergence on the waist

When I go out, I carry several waist-top technology items. My latest is a T-Mobile MDA - a Windows Pocket PC based cell phone. This device replaced a Treo 600, which was tortured by my grand-daughter until it died a horrible buzzing death. The 5 oz MDA has about the same power as the computer that was my main desktop three years ago. Its screen and keyboard are a tad - OK - several tads - too small, but otherwise it is comparable in everything except disk storage.
I am exploring the possibility that this device could reduce the load that I carry on my belt. Fully equipped for travel, the current waist load that I need/carry is:
  • Telephony, messaging, e-mail, games and Internet access: T-Mobile MDA
  • Bluetooth headphone for above
  • Photography and video: Fuji F11
  • Recorded material (podcasts, music and books): iPod Gen 4
  • iPod headphone
  • Binoculars - Zeiss 10x25
  • GPS - Garmin eTrex
Including cases, their total weight is 2lb 6oz (1.08 kg in the rest of the world) or about 1.4% of my body weight. In my suitcase I need four different chargers plus spare AA batteries.

This of course excludes any SLR equpiment I want to have with me.

No wonder I can't take pictures anymore.

I have become addicted to podcasts - they almost work on the phone. A few more tweaks and I will be able to use the phone in place of the iPod for podcasts.

No comments: