Watch what I do on Facebook

  

Thursday, September 19, 2013

The Problem With Multitasking

Typical Luddite nonsense. In the "olden" days when I was doing a monumental coding shift of 36 hours without sleep (I really did that) there were still attractive distractions. For me they were "old tech" distractions. Family. Crossword puzzles. Books. Magazines. Music. Reading IBM Manuals. Talk Radio (we had no TV in South Africa). When concentration is needed high tech distractions are no more alluring than low tech. "Today’s machines don’t just allow distraction; they promote it." he says. Nope. All we need to do is focus. Fortunately, I don't need to do that very often - but I still can when needed. So can anyone.

---

Source:

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/elements/2013/09/we-need-computers-that-fix-our-brains-not-break-them.html

Description:

No comments: