Watch what I do on Facebook

  

Monday, July 02, 2007

Last night we attended the first performance of August:Osage County

We have a preview subscription at Steppenwolf. I enjoy the preview series for a few reasons:

  • I do not need to have my opinions informed by professional critical reactions
  • The actors are really up - the play's success depends on their reviews
  • As a bonus, it costs less!
August:Osage County by Tracy Letts had only one flaw - I was not prepared for a 3 1/2 hour performance (including two intermissions). For the rest, it was a fine experience. The plot was well crafted, the dialog both believable and powerful, believable casting and performances well suited to the play.

This was one of those experiences that really made feel the privilege of living in Chicago, the greatest English language theater city in the world. Despite its length, and the unattractiveness of the protagonists, I and my family were engrossed. When we found out the length of the play, were all tempted to leave at the second intermission. We did not do so.

Last year we had a subscription at the Goodman Theater. I wanted to switch because I did not enjoy the plays that much - they were professional, polished, etc, etc - but never engaged me. Also, on a more basic level - I like the restaurants around Steppenwolf better. So far, we have won on both counts.

Last week we saw the Puppetmaster of Lodz at Writer's Theater - memorable performance, great theme, script needs work.

No comments: