Watch what I do on Facebook

  

Thursday, April 15, 2010

Prodigy->Gopher->Mosaic->Netscape->IE->Opera->Firefox->Safari->Chrome->Firefox

Being a masochist, I recently started switching over to Google's Chrome browser.  I switch often.
Why? I tried new browsers out of curiosity and if something grabs me, I switch for a while.

I noticed that it only had one "box" which replaces the two boxes on other browsers. Gimmick, I thought.
Turns out it is very useful. It is an all purpose search box. As I start typing, it drops down suggestions from several sources:

  • A Google search for whatever you enter 
  • URLs containing your string
  • Common searches starting with whatever you have just entered
  • Your bookmarks containing that string
  • An offer to search the pages in your history containing that string
This is amazingly useful.

However,  I Have just switched back to Firefox.
Why? Firstly - my password manager does not yet work with Chrome. It's a pain.
Secondly, the ecology of add-ons for Chrome is much less well develped.
And turdly, some websites do not play nicely with Chrome.

Poor Chrome - its tough being the new kid on the block. 


No comments: