Watch what I do on Facebook

  

Sunday, May 23, 2010

Dog-food is to Dogs as Formula is to Babies

At about 4:45pm our two dog boarders began to harass me. I call them Mutt and Jeff. According to Wikipedia, Mutt is "a tall, dimwitted ... character." Jeff is "an inmate of an insane asylum." Works for me. Their rightful owners call them Sheba and Bernie. 
Anyway, they began to harass me. In total unison. Two months ago these two dogs never agreed on anything. I thought they wanted to go outside and poo or pee or whatever, so I harnessed them up and took them out. One peed, the other did not. Yes, these are details, but kingdoms are lost on details - as in "my kingdom for a horse"
Back inside, they were still restless. I gave them their rations of dog-food, which they downed in seconds. About 180 of them.
They were sated, and stopped harassing me, but were clearly not satisfied.
It occurred to me that dog-food is to dogs as formula is to babies. It will keep them alive, but not living.
I know nothing about this subject, so I took the course of the ignorant. Google.
The first article looked promising. It said:

The best food for your dog is . . .
Fresh food. Fresh chicken, turkey, beef, bison, venison, and fish. Fresh raw vegetables and occasional fruit. Fresh brown rice and oatmeal. Fresh yogurt, eggs, and cottage cheese.
This is not "people food." Calling real food "people food" makes it sound as though people are the only living creatures who are entitled to eat fresh foods, and that simply isn't true.

Virtually all living creatures thrive on real, fresh food.

Just sayin'






1 comment:

Mike said...

I didn't even know that dogs could eat yogurt. Pretty cool. I have got to try this one. Nice Post