Watch what I do on Facebook

  

Sunday, May 23, 2010

Walking with Camera, iPhone and Dogs

I usually walk alone, with a camera and iPhone (or iPod or other MP3 player). 


We are taking care of a small white Havanese and a large apricot Standard Poodle,

I almost always listen to a podcast and take pictures of whatever attracts my interest. I happily get exercise and learn something while observing the real world - or at least what passes for the real world in the suburbs. Body, mind and soul are all maintained.

Adding dogs to the group complicates the activity. Two dogs and a human result in three different opinions of which direction to go and where to stop and roll in the grass or do whatever else needs to be done. The dogs rarely want to stop to take a picture; I rarely want to stop and poop. The dogs move my hand whenever I want to take a picture; I stop them from rolling in whatever dogs want to roil in. Doggy-bag activity is not one of the higher callings of human endeavor.  (I think this could help.)

My blogs entries are mostly pictures with few words - to the point that I often omit captions. Todays podcast ( a discussion of "Creative Nonfiction"} made me re-think. More words may communicate better - and force me to develop a new skill. I have always been an awkward and slow writer. My thoughts rush in parallel - writing demand a linear sequence. It is hard to make parallel lines of thought flow in the logical line that writing demands. Thinking linearly is hard. 

Maybe a class in writing could help. Maybe parallel columns could help. 

Or not.

No comments: