Watch what I do on Facebook

  

Wednesday, September 07, 2016

How non-English speakers are taught this crazy English grammar rule you know but have never heard of

I posted about this yesterday - but I did not know it was taught to non-English speakers. The hard wiring brains is weird (wierd?) "Learning rules doesn’t always work, however. Forsyth also takes issue with the rules we think we know, but which don’t actually hold true. In a lecture about grammar, he dismantles the "...commonly held English spelling mantra “I before E except after C.” It’s used to help people remember how to spell words like “piece,” but, Forsyth says, there are only 44 words that follow the rule, and 923 that don’t. His prime examples? “Their,” “being,” and “eight.”""
See: http://ift.tt/2cFxy6I Cross-posted from Facebook via IFTTT

No comments: