Watch what I do on Facebook

  

Sunday, October 15, 2006

Bio: Preface - Autobiography

It has occurred to me that I have reached an age at which a memoir should be published. It has also occurred to me that nobody really wants to read my memoir, and that I am very unlikely to find a publisher that would pay me for a memoir. So I must publish it on a low cost forum - like here :-)

I shall begin publishing little bits of my memories here. My only justification for doing so is that I wish my ancestors had left me something that let me understand what they thought. These comments may be of little value now - but to future historians digging through internet archives they may provide some glimmer of what people (a person, plus whatever comments this blog attracts, if any) thought. They may also be interesting to my descendents.

The event that prompted me to start this was a radio show (or podcast - I forget which) on the topic of writing. The comment (obvious in retrospect) was that the best way to write 300,000 words was 1,000 words at a time.

I have no word count target - I just want to write what I remember. I do not want the only recorded memory of my life to be an inscription on a gravestone and a large volume of corporate and governmental records. Maybe nobody will read my account - but it will give me satisfaction.

To ease my future editing, I will prefix each memoir item with the characters "Bio:" followed by a possible chapter title. I do not expect chapter titles to gel for a while, so I feel free to change the entries over time.

Comments are solicited, welcomed, but may not be acted upon. These are my memoirs, after all.

No comments: