Watch what I do on Facebook

  

Thursday, October 05, 2006

Who needs a digital camera, anyhow?

I have recently added a Nikon Coolscan V to my scanner collection. I have been using a Konica-Minolta DiMage Scan Dual IV which I bought a while ago because it was cheaper than the Nikon. What a mistake that was. The DiMage works well enough, but the Nikon is way superior for my way of working. Three major advantages:

  • Digital ICE removes dust automagically
  • No need to mount slides and film strips in a holder. Just pop them in the front of the box.
  • Digital ICE removes dust automagically
  • The scans look way better than the DiMage when running on auto-everything. I prefer to work this way, and fix things in Photoshop afterwards. The Nikon scans need very little correction compared to the DiMage
  • Did I mention digital ICE removes dust and scratches?
There are three kinds of mathematicians in this world:
  1. Those who can count.
  2. Those who cannot count.
Leica M6 + Nikon Coolscan V = Leica M8 - $4500

No comments: